top

View previous topic Anyone using ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card? View next topic

Post new topic Reply to topic Axia Discussion Board Forum Index | Partners' Products    Page 1 of 1

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:43 am
PostPost subject: Anyone using ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card? Reply with quote
Andrew_KOOP



Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Posts: 47
Location: Austin, TX

Howdy!

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Audioscience Livewire card? It looks kinda neat.

Thanks!

-A

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:34 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Anyone using ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card? Reply with quote
markus



Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Location: Italy

No. But why use hardware when you can use Axia's IP Driver?

Regards

Markus

"I love deadlines. I like the wooshing sound
they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams


Andrew_KOOP wrote:
Howdy!

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Audioscience Livewire card? It looks kinda neat.

Thanks!

-A

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:16 am
PostPost subject: Reply with quote
Andrew_KOOP



Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Posts: 47
Location: Austin, TX

We do have two ENCO machines which use the multichannel IP audio driver and they work great.

We're kicking around ideas here, and some would involve adding multichannel audio to some non-ENCO machines. Regardless, I was just curious if anyone had used one of these cards in the field. I'll save my technical questions for Audio Science's tech support.

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:37 pm
PostPost subject: Reply with quote
markus



Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Location: Italy

I was only wondering, because we had the same discussion in my company. We will try the Axia Mulitchannel IP Driver. I will tell you about our experiences after the installation.

Markus

quote="Andrew_KOOP"]We do have two ENCO machines which use the multichannel IP audio driver and they work great.

We're kicking around ideas here, and some would involve adding multichannel audio to some non-ENCO machines. Regardless, I was just curious if anyone had used one of these cards in the field. I'll save my technical questions for Audio Science's tech support.[/quote]


_________________
"I love deadlines. I like the wooshing sound
they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:37 am
PostPost subject: Re: Anyone using ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card? Reply with quote
clarknovak



Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 163
Location: San Diego, CA

markus wrote:
But why use hardware when you can use Axia's IP Driver?


Good question! At first it seems a bit counterintuitive to use hardware when you could opt for pure Ethernet. But there are some good reasons to use the ASI card, based upon your ultimate operational goals.

The AudioScience card works like our Audio Driver, in that logic and audio I/O connect to your Axia network via Ethernet. But ASI cards have some very high-end DSP functions in them. The 6585 supports realtime MP3 and Layer 2 compression and decompression on-the-fly. It can digitally mix audio streams with different sample rates. And it can do pitch-corrected time stretching or squeezing in realtime (as a former Production Director, I love this feature!). And it uses the Windows WDM so it'll work with any Windows editor or playout system that uses that model.

So like I said, it depends what your operational end-goal is.

Cheers!


_________________
Clark Novak
Marketing Director
Telos Alliance
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:33 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Anyone using ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card? Reply with quote
markus



Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Location: Italy

Thx for the replay. This explains the reason of getting the cards.

Markus

clarknovak wrote:
markus wrote:
But why use hardware when you can use Axia's IP Driver?


Good question! At first it seems a bit counterintuitive to use hardware when you could opt for pure Ethernet. But there are some good reasons to use the ASI card, based upon your ultimate operational goals.

The AudioScience card works like our Audio Driver, in that logic and audio I/O connect to your Axia network via Ethernet. But ASI cards have some very high-end DSP functions in them. The 6585 supports realtime MP3 and Layer 2 compression and decompression on-the-fly. It can digitally mix audio streams with different sample rates. And it can do pitch-corrected time stretching or squeezing in realtime (as a former Production Director, I love this feature!). And it uses the Windows WDM so it'll work with any Windows editor or playout system that uses that model.

So like I said, it depends what your operational end-goal is.

Cheers!


_________________
"I love deadlines. I like the wooshing sound
they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:41 pm
PostPost subject: ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card Reply with quote
Catfish
Fearless Leader


Joined: 06 Jun 2007
Posts: 27
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

One thing to add to Clark's excellent explanation of the differences between the ASI6585 card and the Axia Livewire driver:

The ASI card offers WAV and WDM drivers under Windows and ALSA and HPI drivers under Linux. If you have an existing automation system which works with any of the AudioScience soundcards already, this Livewire soundcard should plug right in.

We're proud to have AudioScience as another Livewire partner.


_________________
Michael Dosch
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:04 pm
PostPost subject: ASI cards / Livewire Reply with quote
AXIA_milos
Axia Team


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 279
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA

I would say without any experience with the card, that it can probably be pushed harder than a standard NIC. The ASI card should have some processors where a NIC does not. I'm interested in seeing how the ASI card performs in a live multitrack recording environment. This is where the ASI card has an opportunity to out perform the standard LIVEWIRE driver. My opinion.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:48 pm
PostPost subject: Re: ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card Reply with quote
George Seifert



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Location: Sunny Tucson, Az, Not Gloomy Ohio

Catfish wrote:
One thing to add to Clark's excellent explanation of the differences between the ASI6585 card and the Axia Livewire driver:

The ASI card offers WAV and WDM drivers under Windows and ALSA and HPI drivers under Linux. If you have an existing automation system which works with any of the AudioScience soundcards already, this Livewire soundcard should plug right in.

We're proud to have AudioScience as another Livewire partner.


Has the ASI card working properly with the SS-32 application? I heard that there might be some conflicts with Scott Studios and Livewire via ASI.
G


_________________
Left Ohio for sunshine and boy did I find it!
Downside is I can't drive my products to Cleveland anymore for repairs Sad
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
 
Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:16 am
PostPost subject: installing the ASI6585 Reply with quote
AXIA_milos
Axia Team


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 279
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA

http://www.audioscience.com/internet/products/cobranet/dat6585.pdf
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:54 am
PostPost subject: Re: ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card Reply with quote
AXIA_milos
Axia Team


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 279
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA

George Seifert wrote:

Has the ASI card working properly with the SS-32 application? I heard that there might be some conflicts with Scott Studios and Livewire via ASI.


It works. I've seen it installed at a facility using SS32.

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Axia Discussion Board Forum Index | Partners' Products    Page 1 of 1
Display posts from previous:   
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum