Post subject: Studio Mix Engine - FAQ, Error Messages and Other Tech Tips
Joined: 06 Jun 2007
Engine does not show OK on the LCD display
Under normal conditions, the OK on the LCD display of the Engine will appear if the Engine has a network connection and that it has found a Livewire Clock Sync. If you do not see "OK", check these items.
- Make sure the Engine is attached to the Network switch and that the network switch has been configured per the Axia recommended settings (available on the web site)
- Make sure the Engine shows some network connectivity. The bottom line of the LCD will show a Network is active and the I/O traffic percentages
- Make sure there is a Axia Node on the network and that there is a Node acting as a Master (front display of all nodes)
Engine LCD display does not change away from the initial Axia logo
The LCD will change from the Axia logo to the status screen when the Engine has completed its boot cycle . If the Engine has failed in its boot cycle, this likely indicates a problem with hardware that will need to be replaced.
Cannot get the Engine to run at 1Gbs speed
The Engine needs to run at 1Gbs network speed because in almost all cases, it will generate more than a 100Mbs data rate. 1 Gbs communication uses all 4 pairs in a CAT6 cable. Symptoms include distorted audio.
- Make sure the Engine is connected to a network port that is capable of 1Gbs communication.
- Verify that the cable used between the switch and the engine is in good working condition and is rated CAT6 or CAT5e (Axia strongly recommends CAT6 cable over CAT5e for its better performance at 1Gbs)
Mixes from the Element are stuttering
A lot of new features have been added into the Engine software. It is not anticipated that a single studio would need all these features however if an Engine with a high fader count was subject to all of these features engaged, the processor might run to its maximum capacity of 100%. If this were to occur, the audio may have pauses/breaks as the processor attempts to process. Experience has determined that when CPU utilization exceeds 95%, performance is compromised. Here are a few things you can do to reduce the CPU load.
1. Remove some of the functions that are enabled such as:
- VMIX and VMODE channels
- unused PGM and AUX channels
- Audio Processing
- sources assigned to fader channels but not in use
2. Disable features until processor utilization has been reduced to approx 90% and the Engine is stable.
3. Contact Axia support for alternate options for achieving the large quantity of features.
Engine Over temperature (above 60)
If the engine temp gets above 60 degrees, then it will show an error that the Fan has failed. This is a high temp indication but may or may not mean the fan has failed. If a fan has failed, then the temp would have certainly risen but if the air flow is obstructed, the CPU may be running a bit warmer than normal. There have been cases of Engines running at 72 degrees without incident for a few days (though NOT recommend it in the long run). It is recommended to operate in the 40-58 degree range. For a tech note on fan modifications - look here: http://www.axiaaudio.com/manuals/files/EngineFanMod.pdf
The "Hidden" Pre-Fade and Pre On/Off buss.
With the use of Engine Software 2.4.8 (or later), there are features in the V-Mixer/V-Mode section that would allow for you to have access to the one and only audio mix that is a Pre on-off and Pre fader. This Audio mix is referenced as the Phone mix, which in the past was only available internally to the system. With the use of VMODE (at the bottom fo the V-Mixer and V-mode section), one can select the PHONE source as an INPUT and then at the right side of the section the user will need to make sure the mode is selected to Pass Stereo and provide a unique channel number and enable the source as a Standard or Live Stream. Once you have accessed the Phone mix in this manner, you can treat it like any other stream. You can use this source with VMIX or and make it available to external devices via your node destinations.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum